Monday, January 10, 2005

Tilapia Update

The fish turned out so well that I made it again, twice. I need to make some revisions to the recipe, though. For a 1+ lb fish, you'll need to steam it for at least 8-10 minutes on medium. It doesn't hurt to steam it longer because the meat will stay moist and tender.

The story behind this discovery is that on Friday I made the fish at Christine's house for a small dinner. I steamed it for about 5 minutes and when we started eating it, we noticed the bones were still stiff underneath and the meat wasn't flaking away the way it's supposed to. Joyce kept insisting that it needed more time in the steamer, but she's a selective vegetarian and a professional baker, so Christine and I ignored her. Long story short, the vegetarian was right, and from now on, whatever Joyce says in the kitchen goes.

On Saturday I made the fish again, this time for Jeff, a recovering guailo who happens to be pretty handy with chopsticks. He genuinely seemed to enjoy the fish, even though it was staring at him from the plate with purpley fish lips and a missing eyeball.

Tilapia, my current culinary craze. Good paired with a cheap red wine from Trader Joe's, like Chateau Tour Castillon Medoc or Thomas de Clairvillet Syrah.
============
Next time you come over, I make for you.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

“Next time you come over, I make for you.”


have you considered bbq? i imagine it’s gonna be tasty. see you when the sun returns.

- sloppy james

4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home