Friday, December 17, 2004

Yes, Go Across the Bridge

So I was accosted by some tourists on the Marin side of the Golden Gate Bridge today. For those who aren't familiar with the Bay Area, the Golden Gate Bridge connects San Francisco on one side to Marin County on the other.

"Can you tell us how to get to Chinatown?" one of them asked.

"Sure," I said. "Get on the bridge and drive to the other side..."

"To the other side?" he said, looking doubtful.

"Yes," I said. "You're looking for Chinatown, right?"

"Yes."

"Chinatown in San Francisco?"

"Yes."

"See that pointy building?" I said, pointing across the bay to the Transamerica Building. "Chinatown is near there. So you'll want to go back across the bridge, towards San Francisco."

"Oh," he said, ignoring the direction I was pointing in. "So do I want to go north or south?"

"Do you have a map?" I asked. "I can show you better on a map."

"No, I don't have a map," he said, slightly impatient. "I'm from LA."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home