Wednesday, September 29, 2004

She Found Her True Love in the Elevator

I stepped onto the elevator from the 33rd floor. A young woman was already inside, holding a bulging canvas bag in each hand. She was talking to a man in his 30s, obviously a work acquaintance.

"How's the new house?" she asked him.

"Oh, great," Thirtysomething replied. "We're still unpacking."

"How are the little ones?" she asked.

"They're fine," Thirtysomething said. "The oldest one is starting school this year."

"No kidding," she said. "The one I met? She was only this big last time I saw her."

They continued to chat as the elevator descended, oblivious to two men in suits who stepped on at the 28th floor.

"I still owe you a dinner," the Old Guy said. "I've been traveling for work so much I haven't had a chance."

"Oh, right," the Young Guy said. "How about we make it double or nothing then?"

"Are you sure about that?" the Old Guy teased. "You've got a lot to lose."

"Bring it on, I can handle it," the Young Guy said.

"Excuse me," the woman said to the Old Guy, holding out one of her bags. "Heavy, heavy."

Without a word, the Old Guy took her bag and continued talking to the Young Guy. "Alright, then. I'll be in town for the next two weeks so let's work something out."

The elevator touched down in the lobby and we all exited. "You're on. Have a good weekend," the Young Guy said.

"You, too," the Old Guy said, following the woman. He was still holding her bag.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home