Friday, June 25, 2004

Snot that cold in the Bay

"You swim how long?" Anatoli, the old Russian man, asked me. He was sitting on the bench next to me, drying off. I was pulling on my wetsuit.

"Since I was small, maybe five or six," I said.

"Why you wear this?" he asked, pointing to my wetsuit.

"The water's too damn cold," I said.

"I teach you swim without," he said.

"No, thanks," I said, shaking my head. "I don't think I'm ready for that."

"Oh, but cold water so good for health," he said. There was a piece of snot hanging down past his chin. I looked away without making a face.

"Yeah, it's too cold for me," I said as he turned his back to me, plugged one nostril, and honked out his snot.

We chatted for a bit longer, and he told me he has always wanted to do the infamous Alcatraz crossing. I gave him the URL for the company that puts on some of the Alcatraz swims.

"Thank you so much," he gushed. "This has been a dream of mine for so many years."

"Good luck to you."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home