Tuesday, March 16, 2004

Books N More

Dropped by the Chinese Historical Society in Chinatown and landed a gig doing marketing and PR, pro bono of course. If you visit their website you'll end up thinking it's a creaky place that smells like dusty old ladies, but I actually saw people under forty milling about.

They have a small, growing library of books on Chinese and Chinese Americans. Right now it's mostly Asian American Studies 101 stuff, but when they start stocking their shelves with Sandra Tsing Loh and Margaret Cho books, you'll be the first to know, after I read them.

The main gallery presents a good overview of Chinese migration and assimilation in the U.S., and their smaller gallery is currently exhibiting works by late artist Martin Wong. He's known for his paintings of New York urban life, but I liked his sketchbooks and illustrated letters, which were on display in a small glass case in the corner. He did amazing things with a soft-leaded pencil. With a few lines he could show you exactly how heavy that mug was, and how strong the coffee was. When you see how simple it is to do, you're like, "I wish I'd thought of it first," which is always a sign that a person is way more creative than you'll ever be.

Martin Wong also attended Humboldt State University in Arcata, CA, the town where I spent the five most miserable months of my life before running screaming from all the rednecks and pretentious half-conscious hippie-wannabes.

I found a few books to add to my reading list:

Strangers From a Different Shore - Ronald Takaki
Chinese Diaspora - Ma & Cartier
State of Asian Pacific America - Policy Issues to the Year 2020 ... when you're feeling especially academic or can't sleep
Sons of the Yellow Emporer - A History of the Chinese Diaspora ...recommended to me by a Danish guy I met in Malaysia. Not in the Chinese Historical Society's collection (yet) but available on Amazon.

And...my current book recommendation: The DaVinci Code. Cancel all appointments for the next two days!