Thursday, March 11, 2004

Brain Tricks

I saw him again for the first time today. I'd forgotten how we used to laugh together. He still has this quirky sense of humor. It reminded me of the ducks we saw eating their own shit in Golden Gate Park three years ago. He imitated the way they turned their heads sideways so that they could scoop up as much in one haul as possible. I still giggle uncontrollably when I think of it.

We fell out of touch, and I managed to erase the easy connection we had from my memory, so that I could pretend there was no sense of loss associated with removing him my general radar screen.

I am a wildly successful revisionist of personal history. It's my coping mechanism against the grief of people moving in and out of my life.

1 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

"I am a wildly successful revisionist of personal history. It's my coping mechanism against the grief of people moving in and out of my life."

This is the sentiment I was trying to explain before you left. You've managed to state it so much more eloquently than I ever could.

8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home