Saturday, June 11, 2005

Karibu Kenya!!! Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello!!!

Hey everyone!!! Let me just say I'm happier than every one of you combined to finally be on email!! There is only one connection here in Kitui and it is unreliable
at best. So apologies for a rambling email and for the huge mailing list that's missing people (please forward this to anyone not on the list, i'll try to
bcc next time). I'm alive! I'm alive! And well. Very very well. We're two weeks into pre-service training and I'm settling into my new homestay with a Kenyan host family. I have lots of stories to tell but I only have time to slap out a few bits of info (sorry):

1. I have not been able to read anyone's emails, sorry. I will try when I have a faster connection. Please don't send me any forwarded jokes or large files for awhile as I have tons of mail to sort through.

2. Therefore, please write me!! And you can include a small item (1 or 2 only) in there if you'd like; they won't charge a tax if it's in a small padded envelope.
Appreciated items: chocolate, clif bars, photos, cheese, newspaper clippings, anti-bacterial gel, 1-2 pairs of chopsticks to demo for my host family. The address is the Peace Corps headquarters in Nairobi:

[My Name], Peace Corps Trainee
P.O. Box 30518
Village Market, 00621
Nairobi, Kenya

3. Thanks Mom and Dad for your message and sorry I haven't been able to contact you sooner. I miss you!

4. I am going to try to get a cell phone soon so you'll be able to call or text me. Will keep you posted.

Anyway, I am late for class so I'm signing off. Twenty five words or less, my experience so far: I introduced my host family to peanut butter last night (they loved it) and I found out that the black crunchy things in the honey we've been eating are bees. I have no electricity or running water so I'm getting good at
using kerosene lamps (thanks Zafar for all the LED flashlights!!) and scaring the cucarachas back into the hole in the choo (choo=pit latrine in Swahili). My new name in the local dialect (Kikamba) is Mutanu. It means Happy Girl.

Hope all is well back in the U.S. I miss everyone! Write me write me write me - snail mail.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home