Monday, April 11, 2005

A Fish Story and More

So I bought another live tilapia at the market thinking it would probably be the last I'll get to have before I leave. It was sitting there on the cutting board all descaled and gutted and salted and waiting for the pot, and I started to notice little points on the surface of its skin pulsing. There was a spot along its back next to the dorsal fin throbbing in out in out and some twitching and rippling going on in the tail.

Suddenly I had this flashback to a dream I had last night. I was in Malaysia ordering seafood at a restaurant. The waiter brought out my food and I started eating it, even though I wasn't sure exactly what kind of sea creature it was. My Malaysian host stopped me suddenly and said that my dinner was still moving. I was positive it wasn't, and kept eating. Except that it started moving. After that I just remember trying to convince the waiter that he shouldn't take it back and finish cooking it, because if it was still alive I didn't want to kill it. Nevermind that I had already eaten a chunk out of it.

Well the tilapia is fully cooked now, and waiting under a cascade of green onions and ginger and soy sauce for me to eat it. If it starts to move I think I might crap me pants.

* * * * * * * *

I was telling my friend yesterday that I admire her because she actually eats more than I do. She said, "Oh, no doubt I can eat you under the table." To which she then added, "Dude, I can eat most people under the table."

It's one of those things that sounds almost right, and yet soooo wrong.

By the way, she can actually drink most people under the table as well. Kick ass lady, I love her.

1 Comments:

Blogger Salt Water said...

Safeway sells Tilapia marinated in mango and guava juice with coconut chips for breading at $7.99lb and it is great. Thanks. Just crusing sites and thought you might like an easy tip on fish. Thanks for posting your picture. I Blog for the fun of seeing other people in the world. Later days!

2:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home